Ask the Addict: EOS

Jay B. writes:

Have you heard Eos lip balm?  My wife can go for a day or longer without thinking of applying more. Before that she was six times a day or more.
eosWe just added an EOS page to our website. It’s great to hear your wife is reducing her lip balm usage, though I’m not sure I’d assume it has anything to do with the ingredients in EOS. The egg-shaped container seems to me to be less portable than traditional tubes so it’s possible that’s a factor in the reduced usage.

Filed under Ask the Addict, EOS · Tagged with

Comments

9 Responses to “Ask the Addict: EOS”
  1. Teresa says:

Hi former lip balm users! I quit using Burt’s Bees lip balm 6 months ago. I have substituted in coconut oil, but my lips are still peeling — especially after going out in the cold weather or eating salty tortilla chips. But most days it isn’t such an issue and I just apply a little coconut oil and grin and bear it when they do peel. Yes, it is painful for the 1st month (I used vitamin E oil for a few months), but after that it slowly gets better. However, I’m still in recovery.

Some people think recovering from this addiction is not a big issue but the most humiliating moment was walking around in public with a clump of blood on my bottom lip. Yes, the feeling of a peeling lip is just awkward . Sometimes while at work I file my lip with an emery board but I’m going to try exfoliating instead with 1 tsp of sugar mixed with 1 tsp coconut oil weekly since reading that suggestion here.

By the way, after you eat anything salty, apply some water to a tissue and wipe off your lip ASAP. Occasionally, I apply a vinaigrette type salad dressing which I make with canola oil and vinegar if my lips are really dry and that helps, too, but I’m really looking forward to getting away from a lip issue/fetish. It just feels good to come clean after a 35+ year addiction. Good luck and just remember, all addictions are painful to quit and awkward at first but practice makes perfect.

2. Pam says:

Ok my question is HOW to stop. I’ve known for 30 or so years that I have a problem with ChapStick is there anyway to stop, other than just going cold turkey? Your site isn’t really user friendly for finding this info.

Thanks.

3. Kevin C. says:

Pam… look at the top navbar and click on the Recovery page.

4. Martha says:

Oh boy,,,,so I am 25 hours into no chapstick at all after 50,yes 50 years of using it multiple, multiple times a day.
    (probably every 15 minutes.)Wow, I am determined to make this work…but so far it is tough.
    I am trying to distract myself with getting involved with projects, but it just hurts so much.
    Can anyone tell me after how many days will this get any better? I don’t want to use anything to help because
    I want it to be over quickly. I am so sick of being strapped to that stupid tube of chemicals!!!!

I have to have it with me every place I go and I won’t even buy pants if they don’t have pockets in them for it!
    All my jeans have always ended up with a worn out outline of my chapstick tube on the outside of the pocket!
    Any suggestions of how to make this time go by faster and maybe take some of the burning away?
    I don’t want to give in, but it feels like after you get stung by a bee, or burned.
    I must have really done some damage to my lips and have destroyed the moisture layer or something.
    Anyone with ideas let me know!!! desperate for some suggestions! Thanks!

5. Janell2me says:

I read the articles linked to this site about how they put a small amount of acid in the balm which takes off the layer of keratin on your lips and leaves them feeling dry all the time, which of course leads to using lip balm all the time.

Here’ how I got off lip balm after about 20 years, and finding this site. I put little dishes with a small amount of olive oil in several places in my house with Q tips in them. I also put Q tips soaked in olive oil in snack size zip lock bags and put them in my car and in my purse. Whenever I felt the urge to use lip balm, I would dab the olive oil on my lips. I did this for about three weeks. It’ been over a month and I still have the olive oil available, but only use it a few times a day. My lips still feel a little dry, but I believe that’s because I’m still used to the waxy lip balm feeling I had for the last 20 years. I believe that the keratin layer has had a chance to grow back on my lips. I have no plans to ever use lip balm again. Give it a try!

6. tbbs says:

I soooooooooooooo badly want an eos but my mum and won’t ever let me…

7. Kyle says:

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Get over yourselves. Yeah, the lip balm companies are really devils that want you addicted to their product so you apply lip balm every two seconds. You guys are pathetic.

8. Carly says:

You guys are all chumps. Toughen up and get a get life. I’ve went cold turkey for a week now, and you don’t see me crying like a little baby.

9. Ariana says:

i never use to use lip balm until I discovered eos.
    I bought the summer fruit one. I only used it occasionally but it seemed to dry out my lips ever so slightly. each time a applied I ended up wiping it off.
    It is organic but I have heard of many people with allergies to this lip balm.
    ????
    Anyone know anything about this

(btw I before I used Vaseline and a 5 year old lip balm , which Is still amazing)