Ask the Addict: Why does it Matter?

We received this note from Stephanie M:

I saw your Blistex report page. Seriously? Quit using Blistex all together just because you can use it more than 4 times a day?? Why does it matter?!

Because the next day it’s five times, and the day after that six. And so on and so on. Next thing you know you’re using a tube a day!

It doesn’t happen to everyone, but for us addicts we are all too familiar with the downward spiral.

Filed under Ask the Addict, Blistex · Tagged with

Comments

15 Responses to “Ask the Addict: Why does it Matter?”
  1. Chels says:

Hi , I’m currently 24 and I am addicted to Chapstick and the worst part is I’m now allergic to it I get these really bad rashes and swelling and horrible cracks , I have tried to quit many times and struggle with it I have had this problem since I was 17 and I apply it about 20 times a day it is extremely hard to quit the longest I have Gone is 2 days never more . I just wish it would go away .

2. Arin says:

i’m addicted to eos and burt’s bees. i apply at least 20 times a day and i’m only 13. ChapStick brand lip balm gives me rashes around my lips.

3. Louis Miller says:

I haven’t seen anything mentioned on your website about lip balms sold in health food stores. I get Badger, Chocolove and Whole Foods store brands. Do you know much about them? Are the ingredients the same? I think they use different oils. I switched to the Natural Foods brands because I thought it was disgusting and unnatural to use something made from petroleum distillates. Are you skeptical of the motives of the corporations or companies that market through health food stores, just like you would be for the other companies that market through normal channels? I know, more and more, the health food labels are being secretly bought by large corporations, and they don’t change the labels. For example, Tom’s of Maine was bought by Colgate, I think. I don’t think you need to always have the facts before you write something. I don’t know if you are afraid you will get sued to just write your opinion. I like hearing opinions.

4. Cecilia says:

i have been using the honey lip balm by burt’s bees which had none of the irritants and addicting substances in it. i went to replenish my supply buying about six tubes to have in different locations like the cars, my purse, by my bedsides, etc. i only recently thought to myself that gee my lips seem excessively chapped and went to read the small print on the newer tubes. i compared one of my old tubes (still had the honey comb design on it) with the newer product and saw that they have added the addicting chemicals. i stopped immediately and feel a lot better already! sheesh! i went and made my own salve by heating in a double boiler - olive oil, vitamin e and beeswax. when it cools, it gets put into small containers that i can keep in strategic places. of course i only need it occasionally now and i don’t have those screamingly irritated lips!

5. Astrid says:

Because…

-having no lip balm can make you feel very irritated. it can ruin your day.
    -sometimes lip balm does not seem to help. Whatever you do, your lips remain dry (orat least that’s what you think)
    -at some occasion you cannot put lip balm on. For example, during examinations or during skiing or swimming
    -sleeping becomes difficult because you will wake up when your lips become dry. If you don’t, next morning can be really like hell.
    -kissing is no fun anymore because it dries your lips
    -the repeated action of rubbing your lips against each other may annoy you and others
    -people often say itch is way worse than pain. You can say the same for extremely dry lips.

6. Nicole says:

So I have stop using Blistex for 3 days now !! I have been using it for at least 12 years .. My upper lip is getting a bit chapped and very red.. even red passed my upper lip a bit. Is there anything I can do to stop my lips from hurting sooo much ! How long should it take for me to be over this ?!

7. Claire says:

I’m so glad I found this site, I thought it must just be me. For about 15 years I have been excessively using Vaseline on my lips. I thought maybe it was a nervous things as I used to suffer badly with anxiety. I cannot go anywhere without a pot in my pocket (how happy was I to see those little tins for the first time so I didn’t have to improvise anymore!) and if I realize I have forgotten it I feel anxious and irritated. I will try and find somewhere to buy some. It is irritating and embarrassing but I can’t stop. Not keen on lip balms but bought some carmex recently as my lips where really dry and the Vaseline didn’t feel like it was helping.

8. Lolita Perle says:

How do I know if I am addicted? I had really bad chapped lips one day and it doesn’t feel any better unless i slather on Blistex and others. Were my lips just really chapped or am I addicted? Also I keep rubbing my lips together. And that makes the Chapstick rub into my lips so i have to keep applying. Please help! thanks!

9. Red says:

Oh, give me a break. I use lip balm every night. What are you going to do? Call an interventionist? I also brush my teeth every night. Am I addicted to brushing my teeth?

You know, there is a reason why women use lip balm much, much more than men, and you’re not mentioning it. It’s because lipstick can be irritating. You put it on, it wears off, your lips hurt and feel chapped, you put on lip balm. There might be an allergy to the dyes involved, or a pure and simple case of sensitive skin. You need a dermatologist for that, not a twelve-step group. Try going without lipstick for a week and see what happens.

If using lip balm is easing feelings of anxiety, then that sounds more like OCD than a bona fide addiction. And a good psychologist will help with that.

I am sick of seeing 21st-century society pathologize everything. I have news: Using lip balm won’t kill you. It probably won’t even make you sick. Get real!

10. Cindy says:

For me I’ve been using ChapStick all day for 20+ years. I have tubes everywhere. If I wake up in the middle of the night I have to put it on. If I’m talking about it I have to put it on. If I realize I don’t have a tube with me then I feel like having a panic attack (though I never have). I’m extremely uncomfortable if I know I don’t have one with me. I buy them by the dozen from Amazon and have a stash every where.

For some reason I have issues from time to time like I am now, where my lips aren’t chapped but they are peeling so bad that they are driving me crazy.

I’ve tried to stop using ChapStick but I just don’t have the willpower to do it… Any ideas as to why my lips are peeling? I’ve dramatically slowed down on my use the last few days but it doesn’t seem to be working.

11. Lady J says:

I know it sounds totally crazy to those who aren’t inseparable from their chapstick, but it’s all true! I’ve known that I was addicted for years, and I would like to stop, but it’s incredibly hard. The moment you realize that you don’t have any chapstick anywhere near you, you mind goes into a mental frenzy. I haven’t been able to go 12 hrs (while awake) yet. It’s so bad that I will stuff chapstick in my bra when I don’t have pockets so that I can have some on me at all times! My boyfriend gets annoyed that i always have to put something on that will end up on him once he kisses me. I’d like to be free, but I don’t know if I can handle it. It is mentally agonizing to feel your lips getting dryer, and dryer, and begin to peel and chap after only 2hrs! I could never be trusted with government secrets…all they’d have to do was deny me chapstick and I would break. If I can get it down to 2 - 3 times a day I’d be happy.

12. rob says:

@ Cindy:

Try the following. I use this whenever I get chapped lips and I’ve just been using it to “unhook” myself from lip balm. Which I recently had to use as a quick fix because I drank acidic fruit juice that actually cause my lip to split. And the following method obviously doesn’t work if there is a wound on the lip. I would’ve just let it heal over a couple of days but I had plans to go out, so I used the lip balm to make it heal over night.

Anyway… what I do is that after brushing my teeth in the evening and the skin on my lip (it’s always just my lower from some reason) is soft from soaking in the water, I firmly rub a rough wash cloth over it until all that skin that makes up the “chappiness” has peeled off. Sometimes, I might have to gently help the process with my teeth or re-wet. The point is to get ALL or at least almost all of that “dead skin” (is it really dead? I don’t know but I hope you know what I mean) removed. Because if some is left, that spot will be chapped next day in the morning and you’ll probably unconsciously lick/bite at it during the next day and it’ll spread again. But if you got everything, all should theoretically be good the next morning.

13. Abbi Coates says:

I had my first hit of Chapstick when I was 4, and it’s been a slippery slope to addiction ever since. I can never forgive my aunt, who gave me the ‘drug’, as it’s been a gateway to the end of my life. I’ve been fired from my job at the call centre, everytime I pick up the phone I smear chapstick on my face and the telephone - I cannot touch things without smearing them in it’s waxy glory. Struggling with this problem for all of my life has led me to accept that a day without could kill me. After trying to go cold turkey last week, I found myself running to a store at 2am, unable to bear it any longer, and I’ve tried countless times to cut down my usage slowly, but to no avail.

14. Colorado Girl says:

If you’re asking-What’s the problem, read on. I never thought I had a problem, everyone uses lip balm, right? I recently realized the extent of my addiction to lip balm when my lips started hurting when I ate salty or acidic foods, like stinging-OUCH. Then the cracking and flaking started so I reached for more my Blistex or EOS, whatever was handy. (I have them stashed in various places including my pocket every day.) After reading this blog and others I realized I needed to stop with the balm and heal my lips. Here’s the solution that I read about and it’s working for me. Stop all balm use and only apply Aquaphor Healing Ointment as few times as absolutely necessary. The need for using it should decrease over a few days. it’s been about 4 days and my lips are healing. The flaking and cracking is gone, they just feel tight in the morning. Aquaphor comes in a tube like hand cream and is under $5. Feels good, like vaseline only better. I’ve also heard of using coconut oil but it’s expensive and comes in a jar the size of Texas. Happy Healing-

15. annonymous says:

I am a chapstick addict i am a chapstick addict admitting is the first step right? My dad took away my chapstick and wont let me use it. I recently bought 3 chpastick ones so i can hide it from him and use it. I am so affraid of going cold turkey in case of peeling this hurts so bad i went 20 mins and allready my lips are red on the edges/ borders and i cant bear it! I am fourteen and during one classperiod i put on chaptstick around 20 or more times. I am so addicted and idk how to stop i need help:(